Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Fishin Story

Well if'n anybody care to know, ol' B.B. is feelin much better.  I might even feel up to makin garden in a few weeks.  Lord knows I was a mite puny there fer a spell.  But I thinks this fine weather is bout to make my gizzard stand up and bark again. 
I has been lookin forward to spring for quite a spell now.  Now I is chompin at the bit to get out and tend garden and wet my line in the creek.  This time a year I almost feels like a kid again.  When I starts to feelin purky, I begins to relive my youth.  I recollect a time, I think it was a few years afore the big war,  that be WWI, when me and my buddy Silas went down to ol' man Jennings pond.  We uns knowd we weren't supposed to be there, but we'd hear tell that they was some powerful big catfish in that there pond.  Well that kind a talk was just like wavin a red flag afront of mean old bull.  Me and Silas took off one mornin when we knowd ol man Jennings was drivin his team into town, and we snuck through the back pasture to the pond.  Within a couple a hours we had landed mite near a dozen good size catfish and was figurin on how we was gonna clean them fish and then make tracks afore ol man Jennings got back from town.  Bout that time ol Silas let out a yell that'd curl your hair.  I ran over to wheres Silas was a layin and a moanin.  I looks down at his foot and I be dogged if they weren't snappin turtle had aholt a Silas toe and wouldn't let go come hell nor high water.  I beat on that dad blasted turtle for what musted been 10 minutes afore that blasted animal finally turnt loose.  Ol Silas was a bleedin somthin fierce sos I grabbed aholt of him and was headin him back for home when Silas hollered , what bout them fish we catched.  I told him I couldn' t fetch him and the fish both.  So, there we were,  two young uns, tryin to figure out what was most important, them fine catfish we catched or Silas big toe.  Well, the toe finally won out, but not afore we did some serious cussin and discussin.  They weren't never two more broken hearted boys in this world than me and ol Silas when we turnt loose them catfish in ol man Jennings pond, sos I could fetch Silas back home to patch up his big toe.


"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. " <Mark Twain>

No comments:

Post a Comment