Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Progress

This ol' world surely is a peculiar place.  I been pacin 'round top side for might near long as Methusala, and I seen sights what would make Admiral Byrd look like a piker.  I's seen horrible death and destruction in  cyclones, floods and war.  I  seen beautyful mountains, valleys, oceans and all what nature has to ofer.  And I seen man at his best and at his worst.
We the most intelligent creature what ever walked this earth.  In my years, I have gone from riding my old mule Sally into town on a Saturday night when I were a pup, to ridin a train to Alabama when I weren't but 15 years old, to ridin a 747 jet clear cross this great big country just two years ago.  Oh we have done some amazin things.  Lot a good stuff happen in the last hundred years.  Folks don't fret bout polio or consumption no more like when I were a youg'un.  Folks got all kinds a gadgets what make life easier.  But they is a cost to all this progress.  And someday, if we don't wise up and take better care of this here world, I fear we is, sure as sugar, gonna get our comeuppance. 

Quote Corner : "I am a slow walker but I never walk back"   A. Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment